Friday, December 26, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my first post about my upcoming journey. For those of you who don't know, El Camino de Santiago de Compostela is one of the three main Catholic pilgrimages, the others being to Rome and to Jerusalem. One of the most common routes is Camino Frances from St.-Jeans-Pied-du-Port in France to Santiago de Compostela. This is the route I plan on taking next September.

Why have I chosen to do this? I've kind of been in a fuzz the last year: emotionally, spiritually, and even physically. I hope that spending a little more than a month hiking and meditating a historic trail in the footsteps of St. James will help me find what I'm looking for, even if I don't know what that is right now.

I think the hardest part right now will be training for the physical hardship of completing the trip. I'll have to carry almost everything I need for the trip, so I'm going to try to keep it under 30lbs. Today was my first El-Camino-modified workout. Instead of my usual 30-40 hard minutes on my ergometer or on my stationary bike, I did a much slower pace for a little more than an hour and a half.

Keep reading for more updates on my training, planning, and updates on things I'm having to buy (ugh).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At January 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Cop's Wife said...

This is fantastic! I had no idea you were going to do this. I am envious.
I'd love to do something like this someday. A month with myself to figure out who I am.
Think anyone would notice if I disappeared for a month?
(this is smanley, BTW)

 
At January 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Sil said...

Tohams, 30lbs is TOOOOOoooooo.... much to carry on the camino. Try to carry half that.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Tohams said...

Thanks, Amawalker...after getting a new backpack, it's not going to hold more than 20 lbs unless I fill it with bricks. So I should be good to go with 15-20 pounds at the most. :)

 
At February 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM , Blogger DG said...

Thomas, I agree with Sil (Amawalker). 30 lbs is way too much & 20 is probably pushing it. Leave room to carry food for breakfast, lunch & sometimes dinner, as well as water & other beverages. Buen Camino!!

 
At February 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Tohams said...

Yeah, after more study into the subject, I'll be going with about 15 lbs. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home