Thursday, July 16, 2009

Packing Trial

I decided to throw some things in the backpack I'm bringing. I wanted to get an idea of volume and weight. I have a Osprey Kestrel backpack that's 48L. With all my clothing for the trip in it (and a few other random items), but notably without food, water, my toiletries, camera, phone, or a pair of spare AA batteries, the bag weighed in at only 12.2 lbs with PLENTY of room to spare if I let out the side straps. If 10% of my bodyweight (175 lbs) is the benchmark, I think I'll do just fine coming in under that.

Included in the 12.2 lbs:
2 pairs of liner socks
2 pairs of outer socks
2 pairs of underwear
1 pair of shorts
1 pair of zip-off legs off my convertible pants (that I was wearing)
2 t-shirts (the wicking variety...there's NO cotton going with me on this trip)
1 fleece jacket
1 softshell jacket
1 rain jacket
1 pair of rain pants
1 travel towel
1 solar battery charger
2 AA batteries
1 flashlight
1 sleeping bag
1 dry sack (to bring valuables into the shower with me)
1 rain cover (for the backpack)

I want the extra space because I'll be sending some street clothes and shoes ahead to Madrid for kicking around Europe with any time I have left after El Camino and before I have to head back to the States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home