Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 19 - Mansilla de las Mulas to León

A short day today...only 18.2 km, allowing me to get into León early to see what I hear is a great city. It's noticable that the meseta is ending as we're starting to get rolling hills. Nothing big, but after the completely flat meseta, it's a welcome change. I could see that they're building a new footbridge across a major highway that could very well be for El Camino and the crowds they're expecting for the Holy Year next year. Hopefully that's what it's for as the way into León seemed out of the way, taking us up the highest hill overlooking León right by radio and TV towers broadcasting to the cities (I actually think I could feel the microwaves affecting my pancreas). I will say that getting over the ridge of that hill and being able to see the city was a welcoming site. The beautiful cathedral was clearly visible. Sometimes seeing your goal is a blessing in disguise (another life lesson) as you have such anticipation of getting there that sometimes you'd rather just be there.

As soon as I got to the old part of town where the cathedral was, I could see and sense that the city had a great vibe, full of people walking around and just enjoying the wonderful weather. I decided to stick to the original plan and spend two days there, checking into the Hotel Paris (ironic) only a couple hundred yards from the Cathedral and right in the heart of it. Little did I know when I chose the place (based on location) that the hotel contained a spa and it was also for hotel guests! Saunas and hot tubs do no good on swollen feet, but they still felt wonderful on tired and weary muscles! For those staying in León for whatever reason, I highly suggest it. It was a nice hotel, a decent price, and in a perfect locaton.

As I was staying there on Friday and Saturday nights, I was able to take part in the nightlife, unlike my friends staying in the albergue, as it locked its doors at 9:30. There were several of us in hotels, so I wasn't alone. There were sooo many young people, just going bar to bar having a beer or glass of wine and the tapas that come with each drink in the evening. Then the locals had me experience a calimocho. It's half red wine (vino tinto) and Coca-Cola served in a large cup. It tastes better than it sounds, goes down like candy, and can pack quite a punch given its ease to drink! Sunday was a late and hard walk out of León after a late night on the town!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home