Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 22 - Astorga to Rabanal del Camino

Rabanal del Camino. What a cool little town. I had such high hopes of staying at the Albergue Gaucelmo, but they were dashed by a bunch of bed bugs infesting the place. It was closed. Presumably by closing, they were able to fumigate the place thoroughly for future pilgrims. The albergue I did stay at was very cool all the same.

The neatest experience in Rabanal del Camino was participating in the Liturgy of Hours and Night Prayers at the local church. I've heard recordings of  monks doing Gregorian chants in Latin before. I've even heard it from the depths of the church in Viana, Spain on El Camino. But to actually participate in it is a very spiritual experience. Led by the Benedictine monks of San Salvador del Monte Irago, I had to remember my decades old Latin in this centuries old church to chant along. Unique experiences like this along El Camino are what make the whole journey so unique and so memorable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home