Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Too hot to train

Ugh. The forecast in Kansas City for the next week has temperatures consistently in the 90s. And we're not just talking the low 90s...there are a few days forecast in the upper 90s. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know some of you live in Texas or Arizona. But all the same, it's hard to train for a couple to 5-6 hours a day when it's that hot. And because of the length of time it takes to walk (since I am training for a 500 mile walk), I can't really do it in the morning without waking up at 3 am. It's entirely too boring to do it on a treadmill. I'm not sure I'd last an hour on a treadmill without getting bored and walking away from it (no pun intended).

While I feel pretty confident in my conditioning, a little more never hurts as long as I'm cautious of injuries. In the meantime, I'll continue to work on flexibility and stretching and a couple of the p90x workouts that don't kill me (abs, cardio). That plyometrics one just hurts with the things that are (still) sore on my body (right hip, knees).

Wish me luck and wish for some cooler weather!

1 Comments:

At August 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM , Anonymous Rita said...

Hi Thomas
Since we both start our walks in September (?I think you start then??), I am pretty much on the same training schedule as you. Up to two 5 hours hikes back to back. And the weather here is getting hotter too. But I am an early riser and have been starting my walks at 7AM and done by noon. By then it would be too hot to continue. Next week I will do two 6 hour walks back to back and I think it is suppose to be hotter. I may start at 6:30.
I find that even a little break for a cool drink gives you your stamina back even in the heat.
Good Luck!! Don't give up, you'll be glad that you trained hard when you are racking up the clicks on the camino.
Rita

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home