Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 0 - St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port

I made it here safely via plane, train, and taxi. The train from Bayonne to St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port isn't running, so SCNF (the French national railway) paid for cabs for all of us to get here. For the 4 of us in the car, that came out to 110 euros! Either way, I'm here. I'm a bit tired, but looking forward to tomorrow, to walking 15 miles and climbing 4,000 feet.

I saw Martin Sheen this afternoon. The three Brits I was eating with didn't believe me that it was him. He walked by again about 15 minutes later. He waved at me when he noticed my gaze. They believe me now. It was definitely him. I asked at the pilgrims' office and they showed me a sign asking for extras for a major motion picture he's making about El Camino called "The Way." As much as I'd love to do that, I want to head out tomorrow instead of getting delayed a day to do that. Very cool that he's doing that and very cool that I saw him.

Nothing is any more sore than it was before I came, so hopefully tomorrow will treat me well. I'm a little worried about the alititude with my previous bouts of altitude sickness, but I think I'm more worried about the walk with the weight on my back. If I don't post in the next week or so, send out a search party for a very well-fed bear. (I'm totally kidding...I'll be fine.)

3 Comments:

At September 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM , Blogger happywanderer said...

I have been following your blog and look forward to your posts from the Camino. Hope you have a good crossing on the Route Napoleon tomorrow.
Bon voyage/Buen camino.

 
At September 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Sarah Wu said...

Hurray you made it. And how timely the M. Sheen is doing a movie on Camino. Best wishes on your first day of trekking!!

 
At September 28, 2009 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

How was Paris? I'm waiting to hear how the first day went....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home