Wednesday, August 19, 2009

17.8 Pounds

That was the dry pack weight...everything except food and water. I'd like to knock at least 3 pounds off that, but I'm not sure I can. This was the weight of everything in my BACKpack, not including the front pack (which will be mostly electronics and less than 3 pounds...something easy to bring into a tienda while leaving my backpack outside).

Here's the packing list. It does NOT include what I'll actually be wearing. It DOES include things that'll be in my front pack.

Backpack
technical t-shirt
long sleeve base shirt
fleece pullover
liner socks * 2
outer socks * 2
flipflops
soap
contacts
toothbrush
toothpaste
contact solution
sewing kit
2 oz bleach
iodine
convertible pants
underwear * 2
clothesline
carabiner * 2
water sterilizer
2l camelbak (to clean camelbak)
rain jacket
rain pants
travel towel
solar panel
phone charger
outlet converter
phone
camera
spare batteries
shoe laces
trekking poles
hat
sunglasses
glasses
compeed, bandaids, gauze
bodyglide
dry sack
fanny pack
passport
pilgrim's passport
wallet
credit cards and ID
sleeping bag
travel toilet paper
zip lock bags (gallon and quart)
earplugs
sleeping mask
pocket knife
head lamp
ibuprofen
loperimide
nail clippers
diaper pins
watch
CSJ guidebook
journal
pen * 2
money belt
neosporin
sport tape
lip balm
fleece pants
SD Card --> USB adaptor
long sleeve shirt
plastic laundry pins
scissors
Res-Q Ointment
contact case

Any suggestions? Thoughts on what I'm bringing?

3 Comments:

At August 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Rita said...

Hey Thoomas
It looks like the typical packing list.
I cut off all clothing tags, extra buttons and removed any embellishments on items and saved several ounces!! I even took out the 4 zippers on the bottom side seam of the legs of my 2 pairs zip off pants and then stitched up the side seam. That was quite a few ounces right there.
I'll bet you can shave off a few ounces if you look!! try it and let me know how you make out!!
Good Luck
Buen Camino
Rita

 
At August 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went in 2000 in August. I wore trail runners I bought just for el camino that were a size too big (10.5) with 3 liners in the soles. Never had a blister, mind you I'd walked a lot in preparation. Replace the liners halfway (you will learn viscerally about the origins of the "rocky road" metaphor). Highly recommend this approach. I think my feet actually spread out cause I only buy size 10 now. First day will be hardest crossing mountains. I loved el camino, would have walked back to France had i had the time.

 
At August 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Tohams said...

Anonymous...yeah...I wear size 9s, typically, but my hiking shoes are size 10s. They have my orthotics and a gel insert in them. I wear liner socks with outer socks and have not had problems on my long practice hikes. I'm sure my feet are growing and/or twisting in weird (correct) ways because of my orthotics. Only one pair of my non-tennis shoes fits anymore...just from training walks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home